If you feel that your property taxes are too high, you can always appeal them. Here’s how to do it.


Recently, most of you have received your property tax assessment in the mail. That’s always a fun experience—finding out how much you owe the government. But in all seriousness, if you feel that your property has been overvalued, you can protest your assessment and get it lowered.

In Salt Lake County, the main thing you’ll need is a proper evaluation of the current tax year in the form of an appraisal, a closing statement, or comparable sold properties (which we can help you with). From there, you start your appeal.

The first step of the appeal is usually an online or written form that you’ll have to fill out. You’ll send in your evaluation with it, it will be reviewed, and they’ll send back a decision.

“If you don’t like their initial response, you can appeal the process again.”

If you don’t like their initial response, you can appeal the process again. That second appeal is usually done in person.

If you still aren’t happy, the final step would be to meet with a state-appointed mediator to make a final judgment on whether you or the county has the better argument of where your property should be valued.

Here’s the most important thing to know: You only have until September 15 to file your appeal. If you need any help appealing your property’s value, don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email today. We look forward to hearing from you soon.